Friday, August 2, 2013

Quickpost: Honorable mentions

When I made my post Setting the Bar about my top choices of vampire movies, I went back and forth about #5 (Blade II). It is, honestly, a weak choice and one which had to do more with my love for some of the actors and the aesthetic of the first Blade movies. I still love it, but I realized that there were other options. In fact, three other movies in particular deserve a shout out...




3. Daybreakers


This movie isn't perfect. In fact, plot-wise it has some real stumbles and there is some rather mediocre CG throughout. But Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe both really sell their characters and the sci-fi futuristic aesthetic is really fascinating for a vampire movie. Not a bad afternoon television choice and definitely one of the more unique vampire films.

2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer


The movie which launched the television series which launched a million fans. This adorably campy 80's movie is so full of heart you can't help but love it. Cheesy and quirky, Kristy Swanson may not have the roundness of character that Sarah Michelle Gellar would later bring to the role, but her ability to deliver one-liners is unparalleled. Just a very, very funny movie and a sign of the great work we would later get from Joss Whedon.

1. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

I had originally not thought to include this movie in my top 5 list, proving myself to be live-action prejudiced, I suppose, which is unfortunate because this really is one of the best vampire stories set to film.


The animation is gorgeous and stylized, which matches the dramatic and heartbreaking plot. It's anime, so there's still some weirdness (the half-vampire hunter character has a magical talking hand, for one) but it's just a solid and lovely piece of work that any vampire fan should enjoy.

So, if you haven't seen any of these, they may very well be worth your time! Now back to your regularly scheduled countdown...

~ LK

No comments:

Post a Comment